Launched in partnership with the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat), the UN Migration Agency (IOM), the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), and United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), the Mayors Migration Council’s Global Cities Fund for Inclusive Pandemic Response directly resources city governments to support migrants, refugees, and internally displaced people in municipal Covid-19 response and recovery efforts.
On June 23, MMC and its partners held a high-level virtual event to drive additional international investments to the unmet resource needs of city governments — meeting our joint commitment to support at least 22 by 2022.
This event included testimonials from mayors whose cities currently benefit from the Fund and remarks from the Fund’s donors. As an outcome of the event, the MMC launched the Global Cities Fund Project Prospectus, elevating over 20 city government projects from around the world ready for investment.
- Vittoria Zanuso, Executive Director, Mayors Migration Council
- Samer Saliba, Head of Practice, Mayors Migration Council
- The Honorable Yvonne Aki-Saywerr, Mayor of Freetown, Sierra Leone
- The Honorable Jamal Itani, Mayor of Beirut, Lebanon
- The Honorable Daniel Quintero Calle, Mayor of Medellín, Colombia
- Sarah Smith, Lead, Refugees Initiative, Conrad N. Hilton Foundation
- Dr. Colleen Thouez, Director, Welcoming and Inclusive Cities Division, International Migration Initiative, Open Society Foundations